was successfully added to your cart.

L. C. L. 7/7/18

By July 7, 2018HeritageRail News

The Center for Railroad Photography and Art has boosted its growing reputation as a major photo archive with its acquisition of the Jim Schaughnessy collection. There are about 90,000 images. The collection will arrive in batches beginning later this year. The Center’s staff will then begin the major job of cataloguing and archiving it.

***

From Canadian Rail, the magazine of the Canadian Railroad Historical Association, comes these news items.

The Waterloo Central Railway has acquired three coaches from the defunct Credit Valley Explorer. Included are ex-CN, ex-VIA 5628, 5506 and RDC9 6006.

Since 1966 Canadian National 4-6-2 5080 (Montreal 1914) has been on display at Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. It has now been acquired by the Aspen Crossing Railway, which runs a fairly new tourist line southwest of Calgary. Aspen Crossing plans to restore the engine to operation.

Cranbrook History Centre in British Columbia is the renamed Canadian Museum of Rail Travel, known for assembling several vintage passenger consists totaling 28 cars. Most were displayed open to the weather. That is about to change. The multi-phase project will build train sheds over the trains. It starts with a 16,600 square foot structure that will cover nine cars on three tracks. Module 2 will cover the rest. Putting a building over the trains will reduce annual car roof repair costs by up to $20,000.

Train sets at Cranbrook.

CRHA’s own Exporail museum is starting an 18-month $1 million makeover, featuring more and rearranged artifacts, and improved signage and lighting.

***

Lake Superior Railroad Museum has completed the restoration of Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range heavyweight coach #33 (Pullman 1918).

The roof had to be rebuilt. All the walkover seats were disassembled, and the mechanisms and based were repaired and painted. The cushions were all reupholstered in mohair, like the originals. All the windows were removed and rehabbed. A new food was installed. Modern chemical toilets were installed. Period lighting fixtures replaced incorrect ones from the 1970s.

 ***

Old Pueblo Trolley has restored its Lisbon, Portugal single trucker as a close representation of Prescott & Mount Union #1. They’re hoping to run it on the new Tucson trolley system, hence the pantograph. Still to come, city approval and equipment to adapt to the higher 750 volt power.

The highlight of Members’ Day at the Shore Line Trolley Museum was this 6-car Connecticut Company lineup. Left to right are #1602 (Wason 1911), #775 (Jewett 1904), #865 (Wason 1905), Birney #2350 (Osgood-Bradley 1922), Parlor car 500 (Brill 1904) and #1911 (Brill 1919). Jeff Hakner photo.

Leave a Reply