The Magazine is HeritageRail’s open access digital magazine, covering stories from outside the mainstream railroad media and from our members and partners everywhere.
Advertisers can place ads in The Magazine to reach thousands of railroad managers, museum directors, gift shop personnel and individuals who are interested in railway history and preservation. HeritageRail members receive discounted pricing.
Members receive a monthly e-newsletter with current information in a brief format. Important information about legislation or regulation is posted here for quick distribution to members, as well as our members-only closed group Facebook page.
RECOMMEND PRACTICES FOR RAILWAY MUSEUMS
One of the most valuable publications we offer is our Recommended Practices for Railway Museums. The American Alliance of Museums helped us develop this important self-help guide for institutional growth and development. Recommended Practices for Railway Museums identifies the unique characteristics of railway museums and integrates these with practices that are today standard in the broader museum field. Its goals are:
- To serve as an educational tool for railway preservation and interpretive efforts and to communicate the expectations commonly accepted in the field.
- To function as a guide and to provide a framework for existing museums and organizations as they strive to achieve higher levels of professionalism.
- To serve as a benchmark for railway museums seeking accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), the Canadian Museums Association (CMA), and others. By keeping the unique concerns of the railway preservation community foremost, Recommended Practices for Railway Museums will be a guide by which visiting accreditation committees can evaluate levels of professionalism at each institution.
- To define and emphasize the railway museum community’s commitment to holding its collections in the public trust, ensuring the long-term care of the historic objects entrusted to its protection.
- To demonstrate to a public audience and to the museum field each institution’s commitment to serving and educating the public through a variety of means, including effective interpretation techniques.
- To help HeritageRail member institutions increase the effectiveness of their fundraising and development efforts through demonstration-to the public and potential donors-of their commitment, not only to collections care and interpretation but also to professional management practices and community involvement.